Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sometimes it's more entertaining NOT to say no

Last night, Mark said he wanted a bunny.

"Not a big bunny," he explained. "Just a cute little baby bunny."

"What do you think baby bunnies grow into?" I asked.

He thought for a moment before giving me a knowing, "Oh, yeah. Big bunnies, I guess."

"And what about your cats?" I asked. "How do you think they'd treat a little bunny?"

"I'll keep it in my room so they can't get it."

I just nodded. Which to Mark meant, Start talking! (I swear he's going to be a lawyer when he grows up; that kid can -- and will -- argue anything.) I usually just say no right off the bat, but this time, I let him plead his case.

"I'll keep his cage in my room, and shut the door," Mark said.

I nodded. "And what about cleaning his cage?"

Mark winced at that one. But he could see from my face it was a deal breaker, so he said, "OK, I'll clean it. They just have little droppings anyway."

"True," I said. "But dirty animal cages are stinky. Think about the litterbox."

This time he shuddered. "OK, I don't want the cage in my room then. I'll put it somewhere else -- like your room!"

That kid is a very quick thinker!

But I shook my head and said, "Nope, that's where the cats sleep. Try again."

He listed the other rooms in the house, but none had doors to keep the cats out. So he conceded the cage could go in his room after all, he'd just keep it clean -- this from the boy who gags and takes an hour to clean out the cats' litterbox!

I finally relented (or so Mark thought). I said, "OK, fine. If you can prove you're responsible, you can have a little bunny." His responsibilities included feeding the cats everyday without being asked, and cleaning the litterboxes.

"If you can do those for one month without whining, you can have a bunny," I said.

Which prompted the very first whine. "What!" he cried. "But you clean the boxes! It's my job to feed them."

I pointed out that if he doesn't take care of his existing pets, he can't have more.

"Fine," he said. "I feed the cats every day anyhow."

I reminded him he forgot to feed them last night.

"I did, too! Oh wait, no, I forgot to..." He grimaced.

And so we agreed that February is the test. If he can feed and clean up after the cats for the whole month without reminders or complaining, he can have a little bunny. He even came up with a bunny name -- B-Bunny ("I don't know what it stands for, it just sounds cool," he explained.)

I felt pretty good walking to school this morning when Mark said, "Hey Mom, I thought you'd say no to the bunny right away. I'm surprised you said maybe."

For the record -- I'm not worried about this. If past experience proves anything, Mark will either a) forget about the bunny request by Feb. 1st, or b) tire of cleaning the litterbox by Feb. 2nd. Either way, I come out ahead -- it looks like I actually considered Mark's request instead of immediately saying no.

He doesn't need to know otherwise.

No comments: