Monday, February 2, 2009

And the party location is...

...Pump It Up!

I took Mark to Pump It Up, and he surveyed the room. "OK," he said slowly, still a little unsure.

"Oh, there's also a giant slide around the corner," a Pump It Up employee pointed out. "Check it out!"

"OK, I'll have my party here!" Mark exclaimed suddenly, and I turned the corner to see what made him...well, turn the corner.

I was not surprised to see video games. Mark's idea of a great afternoon with his friends is to play video games and totally ignore them. I constantly remind him that Sonic the Hedgehog is not a real friend (not even if he can fly like Superman).

Whatever. I didn't tell Mark the video games are extra, and that I'm supplying him with pizza, cake and jumping, not quarters. I know he'll talk someone into giving him quarters (he always does), but I also know he'll jump around like a madman with his friends when we get there. (He hates to be left out of anything!)

So now my conscience is clear, and my deposit is safe. I don't care if Mark said yes because of video games, I'm just glad he said yes. I know he and his friends will have a great time.

And we'll probably have this very same conversation next year, when he cries because I've scheduled his party at a [bowling alley, ice skating rink, roller skating rink, fill in the blank] when he really wanted it at -- WAAAAAAHHHH!!!! -- PUMP IT UP!

No comments: