Thursday, September 16, 2010

The trouble with communication...

...is that it takes two participants to be successful. In my house, conversations are completely one-sided. I talk and think we're conversing, and Mark ignores me until my voice rises and he senses impending danger. (He's got a keen sense of self-preservation, that kid.)

He has perfected the art of looking like he's taking in what I am saying. He nods at appropriate intervals and adds, "OK," during pauses in the conversation. But I've discovered he's not actually listening at all--he just hears "Wah wah wah wah," like I'm a teacher speaking and he's Charlie Brown.

Yesterday, he left an empty cat food can on the counter. I asked him three times to throw it in the recycling bin, and he nodded each time and said, "OK." And then ignored me completely.

By the fourth time, I was about to lose it. My voice grew louder and angrier, and he counteracted my tone with a snotty one of his own.

"OK, OK," he said, holding his hands up defensively. "You can stop yelling."

"I can't!" I yelled. "I've already asked numerous times. You are not listening!"

He stopped short, and looked me in the eye. "So you're saying I'm stupid?" he asked.

Now it was my turn to be stunned. I sighed and said, "I didn't say you were stupid. I said you don't listen."

"So basically, you're calling me stupid. Thanks a lot." He tossed the can outside angrily, and tried to push past me to stomp away.

I stopped him, and repeated, "I never said you were stupid. I said you don't listen, and this entire conversation confirms that."

"Oooooh!" he said, finally getting it. "OK. I just thought you were being really mean." Then he walked away, happy once again.

I shook my head at that crazy kid. Then I gritted my teeth and prepared myself to tell him (at least five times) it was time for bed.

No comments: