Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Serendipity

Mark's been developmentally on task lately, asserting his independence and successfully transitioning into a pre-teen. Which is my polite way of saying he's got an attitude on him that won't quit, and a mouth to go with it!

I try not to let the mouthiness get to me, especially when his blood sugar's high and he can't help himself. But when his blood sugar's in range and he's just pushing my buttons...well, let's just say I don't take kindly to that. I'm all for him being outspoken, but rude or disrespectful is a whole different story.

And lately, I haven't been reacting as well as I should. I've had a short temper, meting out random and irrational punishments. Just this morning I made good on a threat to throw out a rubber duckie that wasn't put away -- but seriously, how many times (or ways) do I have to say, "Please pick up the duck"?? I've warned Mark not to challenge me before I've had my breakfast, morning shower, or coffee, but still, he persists.

I need a little help, a parental refresher course, and I'm not above seeking out help when I need it. And so, I headed to my therapist of choice -- the online bookstore.

Where I found this delightful little gem:



I couldn't pass up the lure of changing my child's behavior in five short days. I bought the book immediately.

The box arrived yesterday, and Mark was thrilled. He tore into it.

He paused when he held up the book. Slowly, he read the title out loud, "Have a New Kid by Friday." And then, acid dripping from his voice, he said, "Hmmmm...I guess you're getting a new kid by Friday."

I smiled to myself. He tried really hard to sound snippy, but I could hear the message beneath his snotty tone -- he was afraid I was getting another kid!

I couldn't tell if he was afraid I was replacing him, or just adding to the brood, but either way he didn't like it.

"Yep," I answered a moment later. "I am getting a new kid by Friday. One with good manners and a new attitude!"

And then I walked away. I'm sure a good mom would reassure him he was being improved, not replaced, but hey, I take my small victories where I get them. If his behavior improved just because of the book's title, then great! I haven't even opened the book, and it's already working.

I say that was money well spent!

No comments: