Monday, August 3, 2009

Thank you for being a friend

That's right, cue the Golden Girls theme music, because I have the greatest friends around. (For which I am thankful and grateful every day...)

Anyone who's been to my house knows that I write my all-important daily To Do list on my bathroom mirror with a dry erase pen. The reason is simple -- it's the one place I look every morning, and the only place I won't miss a reminder.

It's definitely helpful, if not a bit...in-your-face. Pretty much kills the tranquility and decor of the bathroom when you read "Call doctor about Mark's prescriptions" or "Cub Scout meeting tonight" as you wash your hands. I pride myself on my home decorating skills, but this particular mirror is the downfall of the bathroom.

But not last week. Mark was away at camp, and I was away at work. My friend Edra stopped by to do some laundry, and she left me a message on the mirror before she left. It cracked her up, but I think it made me smile even more.

She'd left me a To Do list for the week Mark was away. Here's what it said:

Usually this is filled with chores, but not this time.
  • Have fun with friends
  • Relax
  • Sleep in
  • Read without interruption
  • Watch a movie
  • Take a long shower
  • Eat junk for dinner
  • Write
  • Do the happy dance
  • Live good

I am happy to report that not only did I accomplish all my tasks, I finished them all on the first day! And then, because it was such fun, I repeated most of them on each and every remaining day!

It was great to have a list of fun tasks to complete. But it's even better to have a friend who is kind and thoughtful enough to assign them to me.

No comments: