Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A sticky situation

Mark's found a new toy to play with at camp -- duct tape. Yes, the silver super adhesive tape that repairs anything has now become his favorite fashion statement. (And no, I'm not sure why they have duct tape at camp, or why he has access to it.)

When I picked him up last Wednesday, he was wearing a silver tape name tag that read "The Pink." He said it referred to his shoes.

The next day, his name tag read "Mr. Pink," another reference to his shoes. No big deal, although I thought it ironic that he now willingly wears name tags, when he adamantly refused to do so on his way to sleep away camp.

But he hasn't limited its use solely to name tags. When I picked him up Friday, he'd used it quite creatively. He informed me that the infusion site for his i n s u l i n pump was coming out of his belly.

The infusion set delivers i n s u l i n into his body. It's an adhesive pad with a plastic needle that punctures his skin so the i n s u l i n can shoot into his stomach, arms or bum. It looks like this:



Only problem is, we have trouble keeping it on his belly. Don't know why, but it falls off really easily there.

Luckily, Mark's a clever boy, and as such, pulled a bit of a MacGyver move. He kept the site from falling off by adding additional adhesive to it.

That's right, he lifted his shirt to proudly show me how he'd saved the site -- by duct-taping it to his belly!

Talk about hard-core! I winced when I saw it, and said, "Wow, that's gonna hurt coming off."

"No, it's not," he said, a bit offended that I would disparage his beloved duct tape. He smirked at me and pulled at it quickly, then screamed and dropped to the floor in agony. You think tearing off a band-aid is tough, try pulling off a piece of duct-tape from your belly.

I'm not sure how many times MacGyver ended up in tears, but Mark won't be repeating that experiment any time soon...

No comments: