Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Something else I'm not good at

It's no secret that I am craft-impaired. I'm not a MacGyver type who can take a glue gun, pipe cleaner, cotton ball, and construction paper and fashion them into a homemade...anything.

I also know I'm out of my league when it comes to Pinewood Derby cars. But this past week, I thought I finally had a chance at the Cub Scouts Cake Bake and Movie night. Because unlike Derby cars, I've actually made cakes before, and some of them even turned out okay.

Of course, this wasn't really my cake to make. It was Mark's. So I put my control issues to the side and let him bake and decorate it himself. He wanted a happy face on his cake. He picked out three types of icing and a bottle of sprinkly stars for the hair. By the time we left, our cake cost $10, $4 more than the pre-made decorated Mother's Day cakes Mark was drooling over.

Mark wanted to bake one layer square and one round, so I bit my tongue and agreed. We placed the round layer on top, and I handed over the frosting knife which happened to "accidentally" spill at least four times. Mark was kind enough to dispose of the dropped frosting each time.

I thought his cake came out super cute. We plated it, wrote his name on it, and Mark named his entry "Mr. Happy."



However, upon arriving at the cake bake, I realized we were competing against professional bakers. How else to explain these cakes, which were supposedly made by even younger Scouts, with their dads? (Seriously, these dads are starting to make me look bad!)











I am seriously regretting my first impulse, which was to make the infamous kitty litter cake. I may sneak one in next year, even though Mark will have moved on to Boy Scouts by then.

It would totally be worth it!!

1 comment:

Derby Monkey said...

Yeah... some dads are now becomeing just as competitive in the cake bakes as they are in the Pinewood Derby. They don't let their son touch the cake or the car. I see it everywhere... Good Luck.