Friday, May 28, 2010

Girls are gross

Mark was recounting a story about his friend Kyle, who likes a girl at school.

"And she likes him back!" Mark exclaimed, with surprise.

I was curious as to what that meant -- it's been a long time since I was in fourth grade.

"Huh," I answered. "So...what now? Do they eat lunch together?"

"No!" Mark snorted. "Why would he do that?"

I shrugged. "I dunno...do they hold hands?"

This one was met with a growl.

"Sorry!" I told him. "Are they gonna go to the movies together?"

This time, Mark didn't even answer -- he just walked away. "They can't even drive yet!" he called back at me. "How are they gonna go to the movies?"

"I'm just trying to figure out what it means that they like each other!" I called out to him.

"Get a boyfriend yourself, then you'll know!" answered my loving son. Yes, the same jealous boy who growls and gives me the stink eye when I talk about my pretend "boyfriends" (Harry Connick Jr. and George Clooney). His little head would explode if I brought a real boyfriend into the house!

Later, I asked if Mark liked any girls in his class, and he just stomped away again. This scene has repeated itself numerous times, including once when we were goofing around.

I hugged him, and kissed his head, then told him to stop being so dang cute.

"Never!" he said. Then he paused, and asked, "Why wouldn't you want me to be cute, anyway?"

"Because you're so cute, I'm gonna have to chase all the girls away!"

"OK, then yes," he answered. "I'll stop right now. Immediately!"

I just smiled at him. He may not be all at all interested in girls right now, but I know he will be some day. Some day sooner than I'm ready for.

So I'm just going to enjoy my sweet little boy now, while he is still sweet and little, until that terrible day comes. :-)

No comments: