Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!

OK, we still haven't watched the Great Pumpkin yet (maybe this weekend), but Mark and I did carve our pumpkins last night. I think they turned out pretty well:


You'd think I'd be one of those good moms who buy the safety pumpkin carving set so that my precious little angel doesn't slice open any arteries, but turns out those kinda moms are more organized than I am. Instead, I handed Mark a steak knife and told him not to hurt himself. (I also told him not to sit too close to me, which maybe wasn't the most loving motherly advice, but then again, hey--someone needed both hands to drive us to the emergency room if need be!)

Those little carving sets also include big orange scrapers, which allow you to empty out a pumpkin in about two minutes. (I know all this because I bought one of those safety sets last year--I just don't know where I put it.) But since we didn't have one of those either, I handed Mark a big serving spoon to go with his steak knife.

I carved off the tops with a butcher knife, which was a little shaky--suddenly, I was less worried about Mark losing a finger than myself. But I got the tops off, fingers intact, and we were ready to start scraping.

Mark liked drawing faces on his pumpkin, but he was not at all into scraping out the "guts." (Maybe I shouldn't have called them pumpkin guts--he already disliked the sliminess, the name definitely did not help.) He decided to keep the seeds--"some for planting and some for roasting"--so he meticulously picked out each and every one. Which were all as slimy as the stringy stuff holding them in there, and consequently, went shooting out all over the floor.

I cleaned out my pumpkin pretty quickly. I told Mark it was because I was so efficient, but really, that sliminess does get to you. Then I carved my pumpkin, giving him a vampire-fanged smile. I even added a little nose, thanks to Mark, who noticed he didn't have one, and asked me, "Aren't you gonna let him breathe?"

Meanwhile, Mark was still cleaning his pumpkin. He was really having a hard time, and wanted to wash his hands every couple minutes. I helped dig out the sludge, and then, after he scared me by flailing the knife all around, I helped him carve it. We worked together, slowly carving out the eyes, and the angry eyebrows. I carved the lines for the mouth, which Mark said he wanted shaped like the letter N. I didn't really succeed there, but he had fun carving it out anyway.

When we were finished, we put in a couple votive candles and lit up our new jack-o-lanterns. We turned off the lights, and then cheered at the shining pumpkins. They looked so cool!!

That was the first part of our Halloween celebration. The second part was today. The kids couldn't wear costumes to school, but they could dress up for Career Day. Mark finagled his way out of his uniform by saying he wanted to be a teacher. So he dressed in his favorite guitar t-shirt, shorts, and Converse shoes. Then I drew a little beard on him and painted some tattoos and voila! When I walked into the classroom, I started laughing--Mr. Robinson was dressed almost the same! Mark definitely looked like a teacher.

I helped out with his class, who'd won a special party as a good behavior reward. They had little stations in class where they made black cats, and played pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey. The last station was dedicated to two words that strike fear into any parent of a child with diabetes--CANDY SUSHI!!

It was disgusting, so of course the kids loved it. Instead of seaweed, the kids started with fruit roll-ups. They smeared a layer of marshmallow cream on it, then added gummy worms (rolled in sugar, of course), licorice, and some other sour candy. They wrapped it all up, sliced it into pieces, and gobbled it down. I think I got a cavity just watching them.

I told Mark to save his until lunch--that's how long it would take me to add up all those carbs. He was great, and didn't even complain. Of course, in a completely ironic twist, his blood sugar went low right before lunch, and he needed--that's right!--some sugar to bring it back up. Sometimes you just can't win.

The kids also got a pizza party for lunch. They watched a movie and ate their pizza, while some moms and students passed out candy. I bit my tongue and tried not to ruin Halloween by saying, "Don't eat all that candy, Mark!!" I always let him eat like the other kids do, including sweets, but most days, he doesn't end up with five candy bars and three bags of cookies on his desk after he's already eaten half a candy sushi roll! I just kept telling myself "Today's a wash, that's why they made insulin," and vowed to check his blood sugar a few extra times. Halloween should be the best day ever, even for little kids with diabetes.

And now I'm off to take Mark for his flu shot, then trick-or-treating with Scott, Mari and the kids (and probably the dog). Mark really hates getting his shot (even though he used to get 5-6 shots a day), so I sandwiched it between all the day's fun activities. That way he can only mope about the shot for an hour or so--because nothing makes you forget a shot in the arm faster than loading up on free candy!

No comments: