Thursday, October 16, 2008

Now I'm in trouble

The abandoned kittens from next door have grown, except for Houdini, who remains quite petite. Now, he appears at our kitchen door every night after dinner, where he sits, looking very cute and sweet.

I want to rescue him or chase him away or something, but he's still a little skittish. He hisses a bit if I surprise him, but he's so little, it sounds more like a half-hearted whisper. He's not quite wild anymore, but certainly not quite tame, either.

His two siblings also appear occasionally. We've named the black-and-white cat "The Meanie," because he's much bigger, and refuses to share the handful of dry food we toss outside. (We haven't named the other one, because its mean, and rarely comes over.) So now, Houdini and the Meanie appear nightly, waiting for a free meal. And when they stare through the door with their big eyes, it's hard to refuse.

They're making a mess of my yard, and I worry they'll start having their own kittens soon. But every time I think of trapping them, Houdini appears at the door, and this is what I see:


Sigh. I don't like having stray cats living next door, but how can I be mean to that sweet little face???

No comments: