Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Chop, chop

How do you know you have the best friends in the world? They leave work early to attend your son's cello recital!

Now that, my friends, is love.

I dropped Mark off backstage last night, where he changed into his dark pants and clean white shirt. The kids were all dressed up, hair slicked back, or filled with ribbons. They stood in a long line to get their instruments tuned. A teacher walked by and told them, "Looking good, smelling good--have fun tonight!"

Edra, Monica and Kathleen--Mark's proud aunties--attended the recital with me. It was packed--seriously mobbed! We arrived in time to snag the few standing-room-only spaces left. I saw Mark scanning the crowd for us, so I waved at him. He kept scanning, so Monica and I both waved, until finally he saw us, waving his cello bow at us.

Boy, were we in for a treat. First we listened to the 4th and 5th graders pluck their violins for about 15 minutes. Then we heard them bow the strings for another 15 minutes.

But the entertainment was also visual. Because seated on the stage steps were about 30 wiggly 3rd grade violinists, patiently waiting for their turn. Well, they were patient for about five minutes. Then they started squirming and whispering, being generally disruptive.

And in front of those 3rd graders, seated on metal folding chairs, were the 3rd grade cellists. Which included my son. Who could probably use a few lessons in concert etiquette.

At first, he, too, was fairly patient. He sat quietly, staring at the crowd, taking it all in. Pretty soon, he realized he was tired, and rested his head on the cello. But that wasn't much fun, so he started rolling his eyes and making faces at the crowd. Who must have responded positively, because he then showed them his cello-twirling abilities.

But my son is a social boy, and quickly tired of the solo performance. He needed some interaction, so he turned in his seat to talk to the violinists on the steps. Who were all trying to be good. And were trying not to respond to Mark. They either ignored him, or goofed around with the neighboring kids.

Which is when Mark realized the benefits of playing cello--the bow is much longer than a violin bow! And can be used to prod other children just out of reach. So he involved himself in the wiggling, squirmy mob by poking kids with his bow.

"Oh my God," Edra said, as she watched Mark. "I am going to go down there and sock him."

Except that the crowd was too thick. So I used my telepathic skills, willing Mark to look up at me, which he finally did.

I pointed two fingers to my eyes, then pointed them at him. From across the auditorium, I mouthed the words, "I'm watching you! BEHAVE!" He stuck his hands out, palms up, and mouthed back, "What?!?!"

But he got the message, and he knew I would stomp downstage and quiet him myself if neccessary. But before I could threaten him any more, the music teacher announced it was the 3rd graders' turn.

The violinists jumped up, and followed the teacher's steps to properly hold their violin. I can't remember all the steps, but they included things like "stop sign" (hold the violin out front), "airplane landing" (put in to your chin), "head flop" (put your chin down on the violin), "helicopter" (wave your bow in the air) and "chop chop" (put bow to instrument). They also demonstrated the "crab pinch" and plucked at their instruments. And of course, we were treated to some magical bowing as well.

My irritation at Mark's squirrelly behavior melted away as soon as he started playing. It was replaced with pride, and I'll admit, I got a little teary watching my little man "chop chop" and play the magical four notes they've practiced. He did so great! He waved his bow in the air, he plucked the strings, he kept his bow straight. He even paid attention! It was awesome.

I couldn't stop beaming. Afterwards, I helped him put the cello away. His aunties were waiting outside for him, and started applauding when he walked outside. He hugged them all and thanked them for coming, then we went to dinner to celebrate.

I love music, and I've been to a lot of concerts in my time. But I have to say, this was one of my all-time favorite performances ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good thing you got him to behave before Edra got to him.
She would have socked him HARD, too.
Believe me. I know.