Thursday, December 25, 2008

Giggling with the Gludts

Kelley keeps telling me what a small town Tucson is, but for a small town, there sure is a lot to do!

Monday morning we woke bright and early. Kelley had to work in the morning, leaving Mark and I to visit with Rob and Romi, which was really nice.


We picked Kelley up at work, and drove to lunch at a microbrewery on the University of Arizona campus. Afterwards, we loaded up the kids and headed for the Children's Museum of Tucson, which was super fun! The boys liked the museum a lot, but I think that Kelley, Rob, and I had the most fun of all.

We started in the electricity room. Kelley and I ran up to an electric machine that turned on lights according to how strong you are. Kelley could only turn on two of the four lights, so I mocked her, and tried it myself. Of course, when I tried, I could only turn on the same two lights. Then Rob walked up, flipped on all the switches and lit up all four lights. He put Kelley and I in our places!

Next was the fire and police room. It had a real police motorcycle, which Kelley immediately climbed on, and a fireman, whom I immediately hugged. Kelley hopped off the motorcycle, and ran into a little puppet theatre, where she put on a puppet show making fun of me.




But we couldn't resist the firetruck. When we lived in Washington D.C., we'd toured a firehouse once, and had convinced the firemen to let us climb aboard the engine. Rob had laughed at us being so silly, and took lots of pictures. Well, we re-enacted that photo, with Kelley driving and flashing the lights, and me cracking up next to her. (We got to push a lot more buttons on the museum firetruck.)


It was a good 20 minutes before we realized Mark wasn't in the room with us. When we'd tired from laughing, I called out to him, and he came into the fire/police room to ride the motorcycle. He totally dug that.

We moved throughout the museum, playing with blocks, writing funny things on the wall with lasers, playing instruments, scaring dinosaurs. Kelley and I had a Dance Dance Revolution dance-off, and then Rob showed us how his strong heartbeat could power a bass drum. (Although Kelley's drum beats were much cooler!)

One of our favorite rooms was the jungle room, where you could attach little stuffed frogs the wall, and hoist them up toward the ceiling. When they got high enough, a ceiling fan smacked them, and sent them flying across the room (it represented them "hopping" but man, they flew!).



We spent a good two hours in the museum, and only left after Mark got bored (we adults could've stayed there all afternoon!) Rob then drove us around downtown Tucson, while Kelley pointed out the highlights.


Then it was home to celebrate the second night of Hanukkah. We lit the menorahs, Kelley and Rob sang more prayers, and we scarfed down our dinner so we could run off to our next fun adventure.

This took place at another fine Tucson institution--the zoo! They were celebrating Zoo Lights, which were literally thousands of Christmas lights strung up all over the zoo. The animals were all in bed, but it was still pretty spectacular to walk around and see all the lights. We had cookies and cocoa, and walked into a bear exhibit just in time for a snowfall. ("Are we near a bear?" Mark asked, and Kelley told him "By polar bear" and I said, "I didn't know there were bipolar bears!")

We also saw Santa, and an elephant (not together). One little girl, about two years old, was so excited to see the elephant that she ran up to Kelley, arms outstretched, and said, "Can you pick me up?"

"Of course," Kelley said, and I told her that little girl could tell a mommy when she saw one.




Hard to believe, but Day 2 of our trip was even better than the first!

No comments: