Monday, December 1, 2008

Oh, happy day!

It arrived, it arrived!! A big manila envelope, stuffed into my mailbox Friday morning, with a return address reading "Office of Vital Records."

Vital, indeed--it contained Mark's new birth certificate. Which I've been waiting for since October 2007. Which I was first told would arrive in July, then September, then October, then finally January 2009 (maybe). Which I *may* have told a little white lie to expedite, in hopes of procuring a passport by next summer. (It was for the greater good, people!!)

But whatever, it's here, the final piece of the adoption puzzle--with this document and the adoption decree, let there be no doubt in anyone's mind that I am now, officially (according to the State), Mark's mom. (Huzzah!)

It was strange to see the birth certificate in person. I was expecting an amended certificate, something with the words "adoptive mother." But no, I am listed simply as his mother; the certificate looks like any other, with no caveat or disclaimer that this child is adopted or that this mother is not the biological mom. It reads as though I actually gave birth to the little guy myself!

Right there under all of Mark's information (time/date of birth, hospital and city of birth), are the words Mother: Heather Dinsdale, printed in black ink. It lists the mother's birthday (mine!) and her name (again, mine!) at the time of Mark's birth. The "father" field is completely blank--no mention of Mark's birth father at all.

The whole thing was kinda shocking--I am given far more credit in his birth than I deserve, and Mark's birth family is completely obliterated from the record altogether. It was very strange indeed, as though they never existed. Talk about re-writing history--I didn't know you could do that legally.

But, again--whatever. What matters most is that I now have official government-issued documentation of Mark's birth--one of those things birth parents take for granted, a legal record proving a child is theirs. The only proof I had before was a blurry, illegible photocopy of Mark's original birth certificate.

I immediately collected the certificate and other paperwork I'd started, and finished the task from last month--obtaining Mark's Social Security card. I'd already tried once, unsuccessfully. But I tried again today; I signed in to the Social Security office, received my number, and was promptly called to the window.

The window manned by the very same mean man who'd denied me Mark's new card last month! Talk about bad luck.

But I didn't want to fight today--I just wanted it done. And so, I did something completely out of character--I sat down, and shut my big mouth.

It worked! When asked, I silently pushed all the documentation toward him. The only time I spoke was when he asked about the father field.

"Father unknown?" he said.

Which I took as a personal accusation--you don't even know who the kid's father is?? In my head, I launched into a whole explanation about how Mark was adopted, and did have a father, but that the father was removed from the record.

Luckily, my filter was working, and my brain said, "STOP! He doesn't care--just say YES!"

And so I answered, "Yes, father unknown." And bit my tongue.

I was rewarded with a receipt five minutes later, saying the new card will arrive in two weeks. That was it--mission accomplished!

I about skipped out of the office. I couldn't believe how fast and easy the process was. I walked into the sunlight while visions of college plans danced in my head. (And visions of savings bonds, savings accounts, my son's future employment--all things are possible with a Social Security card!)

I didn't physically give birth to Mark, but you'd never know by looking at the certificate in my hand today.

No comments: