Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Why moms yell, part 2

Tonight is the Winter Recital at Mark's school, which includes performances by the 3rd, 4th and 5th grade strings ensemble. (The violinists and cellists.)

When he handed me the concert flier last week, I asked, "Are you performing?"

He answered, "Yes!"

I asked, "Are you sure?" (He's only had 8 lessons--didn't know he was ready to perform in public!)

Again, he answered, "Yes!"

So, okay. I marked the recital on my calendar.

As we left the house this morning, I asked if he needed the cello.

"No," he said. "It's Tuesday--violin day."

"I know, but aren't you going to practice for the concert? Maybe they're holding cello lessons today, too."

He assured me they were not. I didn't believe him, and asked him three more times. He gave the same answer--no.

And so we walked to school. He was telling me a story about music class when suddenly he turned and said, "Where's my cello? Didn't you bring my cello?"

My inner voice screamed "ACK!!!!!" My hands twisted into lethal weapons, searching for his throat, but I shook off the imminent throttling. I bit my lip, then said, through clenched teeth, "You shed you din needit." (That's how "You said you didn't need it" sounds through clenched teeth.)

"I need it!" he shouted. "I have practice today!"

No kidding, I thought. That's why I asked you 10 times. But what I said was, "Fine. I'll drive it to school. If you are out front, I will give it to you. If you are not, I will drive on to work. Do you understand?"

He nodded yes. I headed back to the crosswalk, where the crossing guard said, "Wow, that was too fast! How'd you get back here so quick?"

"I didn't make it to school," I said. "I'm on cello-delivery duty." She laughed.

I dropped off the cello, and to his credit, Mark was waiting in front of the school for it. (He knows I'd have driven off to work with it!) I'm glad he was there, because honestly, I can't wait to hear the recital. I can't wait to see my little Yo-Yo Ma(n) in action!

No comments: