Saturday, March 14, 2009

My Little Monet

Some parents display their children's artwork on the refrigerator; others frame it and hang it on the walls. But my son was thoughtful enough to show his latest creation in a more permanent exhibition space: the bathroom.

Specifically, it's on display in my shower. Or rather, on the shower curtain. That's right, my little artiste demonstrated his creative flair by spraying bleach all over the shower curtain today.

Why would he do that? you might ask, to which I would answer, I have no flippin' idea.

Yes, I have childproof locks on the bathroom cupboard. But he's 9 years old, and has never taken any interest in the cupboard's contents before, so I never use them. Today, for whatever reason, he decided to have a go with the Tilex bottle and the shower curtain.

It's a stunning piece of art. Certainly, I was stunned when I walked into the bathroom and noticed the streaked bleach marks all over the curtain.

And as an art fan, I love to hear about artistic inspiration. So once I regained my composure, I called the artist in to hear what inspired him to spray bleach all over the place. He was artistically casual in his response. "I don't know," he answered with a shrug.

Perhaps he was merely being humble, or maybe he was afraid to anger his muse. So I asked him again.

"I don't know," he answered again. "I just did it."

"You just ruined the shower curtain for the heck of it?" I asked. He nodded.

I also fancy myself a bit of an artist (though I'm more photographically inclined), and this seemed the perfect opportunity to discuss artistic tools and media. So I lit into him about inspiration, composition, installation, and the immortality that results from timeless works of art.

Well, that's what I would have said if I'd been using the artistic terms. But Mark's young, and still developing his vocabulary, so I used the laymen's terms instead.

Which sounded more like, "I don't care what the hell gets into your head, you'd better not EVER spray the cleaning products on anything EVER again. If I catch you again, you're DEAD!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you were my mom. “..you'd better not EVER spray the cleaning products on anything EVER again. If I catch you again, you're DEAD!” Cool mom--no cleaning.

Heather said...

Mark actually realized the same thing, so I had to amend that last statement to, "Pretty much anything can be cleaned with a wet washcloth." I figure there's not much damage he can do with a wet washcloth, huh? (Famous last words...)